Meet your newest meal prep recipe: Greek chicken rice bowls! These Greek rice bowls are the perfect make-ahead meal to eat alllllllll week long.
They are made with a base of rice (hence the rice bowl recipe name!) and topped with Greekish seasoned chicken and vegetables. Everything’s finished with a sprinkle of feta and a fresh squeeze of lemon juice.
I love chicken rice bowl recipes like this because they are super simple to pull together, are a full meal (no need for a separate side!), and they just taste good!
What Is a Rice Bowl?
Rice lunch bowls (which can really be eaten at any time of the day, but I love them for lunches) are essentially a meal-in-a-bowl. This chicken and rice bowl has everything you need in a meal – it’s got carbs (rice), veggies (zucchini and onion), protein (chicken), and flavor (herbs, feta cheese, fresh lemon). All in one bowl so that you can take it on-the-go or just prep a healthy meal ahead of time.
How to Make a Rice Bowl
These Greek chicken rice bowls are easy to make and take less than 10 minutes to prep! Let me break it down for you:
- Prep your ingredients. Slice your zucchini (into half moons); slice your onions (into half moons and then sliced again to make them shorter); cut your chicken (into bite-sized pieces); mix up the Greek oil mixture.
- Roast your chicken and veggies. I like sheet pan meals like this because once you chop and season? Your work is done.
- Make rice. While the chicken and veggies are roasting, make your rice. I use 6 servings to give you a little more than 1/2 cup cooked rice…because that just doesn’t feel like a serving.
SHORTCUT TIP: Use microwavable rice to simplify.
- Portion your easy rice bowls out. I created this recipe with four servings, but if you need a larger/smaller serving size, feel free to adjust.
Are Rice Bowls Healthy?
Yes! This Greek chicken rice bowl recipe is incredibly healthy and covers all of the meal components you need to build a nutritious meal. I’m sharing some easy ways to add even more nutrition in below!
How to Store Greek Chicken Rice Bowl
The best thing about these Greek rice bowls is that they can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator – hence what makes them a great meal prep option. Simply portion out the ingredients into four containers and store in the fridge.
When you’re ready to eat your healthy recipe bowl, simply remove the lemon, microwave until hot, and squeeze with lemon juice. Add a sprinkle of salt if desired.
Greek Rice Bowl Nutrition + Substitutes
The full nutrition stats can be found below, but they are just where I like them to be in terms of a meal – almost 600 calories. This is usually enough to keep you satisfied but of course depends on many factors such as metabolism, activity level, and much much more. I like to eat according to satisfaction, not a number!
If you want to swap out any of the ingredients, here are a few ways you can add even more nutrition into this meal:
- Whole grain rice or grain. I like the mild flavor of white rice, but you could use brown rice, quinoa, farro…just about anything!
- More vegetables. I always like to focus on adding more nutrition IN, instead of taking OUT. If you want to add more veggies to this healthy rice bowl dinners you could roast chopped bell peppers or grape tomatoes or use fresh tomatoes or fresh chopped cucumber after you cook the rice bowl.
More Meal Prep Recipes:
It’s no secret that I love meal prep recipes…so I’ve got plenty of ideas for rice bowls and other meal prep meals. Here are some of my favorites:
- 4 Ingredient Trader Joe’s Quinoa Bowl – Ground turkey, quinoa, and a tasty peanut sauce – you’ll love the flavors in this one!
- Italian One Pan Sausage and Veggies – If you like pizza (hiiiiiiiiii), you’ll love this one that’s loaded with classic Italian flavors.
- One Pan Sausage & Veggies – Sweet potato, chicken sausage, and cauliflower. It’s sweet, it’s savory, and it’s got protein, complex carbs, and veggies!
- Chicken Meal Prep with Quinoa and Broccoli – Cheesy quinoa, broccoli, and chicken? Healthy lunch is SERVED.
- Healthy Baked Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal – Meal prep can go beyond lunch! Start your day off on a nutritious note with this baked oatmeal recipe.
Helpful Tools to Make Homemade Rice Bowls
- Glass Storage Containers – Find containers that you like – this easy rice bowl recipe needs at least 3 cups volume.
- Extra Large Sheet Pan – I like to use a large sheet pan so that everything fits on one pan! If you use a smaller one, use two so that the veggies and chicken aren’t crowded.
My Greek chicken rice bowl recipe takes just 10 minutes to prep! MEAL PREP these HEALTHY Greek rice bowls and take them on-the-go.
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast tenders
- 2 green zucchini
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dill
- 6 servings rice
- 2 oz. feta cheese crumbles
- 1/2 lemon, cut into wedges
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Cut chicken into 1″ pieces.
Cut green zucchini into half moons.
Slice red onion into half moon slices.
Stir together olive oil, oregano, dill, and seasoning salt.
Spread chicken, zucchini, and red onion on a sheet pan. Season with sea salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil mixture.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Stir chicken and vegetables half-way through.
Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions.
Portion out rice, chicken, and vegetables into 4 containers.
Sprinkle with 1/2 oz. feta cheese each, and serve with lemon wedge.
To serve, re-heat chicken bowl in microwave until hot, and squeeze lemon juice over the top.
- Use microwavable rice for an easy shortcut.
Keywords: meal prep, greek chicken rice bowl, rice bowl